Practical Dry Cargo Chartering
A course held in association with the Baltic Exchange since 1999.
|0915||Welcome and Course Introduction|
|0945||The Role of the Broker|
|1115||Workshop 1: Evaluating and selecting ships and cargoes|
Delegates split into groups, are given a number of orders and vessels and asked to advise their principal on which business to work and why.
|1200||Workshop 2: Factors to consider in evaluating chartering alternatives|
|1400||Workshop 3: Acceptable/Unacceptable Practices|
|1515||Legal Principles of Charter Parties & Bills of Lading|
|1745||Day one ends|
|0900||Bids and Subjects: Preparing for the Negotiation|
|1030||Negotiating Charter Parties|
|1200||Voyage Estimating Principles|
|1345||Dry Cargo Market: Demand factors|
|1430||Dry Cargo Market: Supply factors|
|1530||Voyage Estimating Practical Exercise|
|1630||Payment of Freight, Hire and Commission Clauses and their Implications|
|1745||Day two ends|
|0900||Charter Parties: Special and additional clauses|
|1030||Forward Freight Agreements|
|1145||Post Fixture Operations: Who does What with Whom?|
|1415||Laytime and Demurrage Principles|
|1545||Workshop 4: Laytime and Demurrage Practical Exercises|
|1745||Day three ends|
|0915||Dry Bulk Market Factors: Trade, vessel demand, vessel supply, earnings, and vessel prices|
|0945||Ship Finance Highlights: Challenges of the Market Today|
|1115||Workshop 5: Fixing a Ship: Introduction|
The entire process of fixing a dry-cargo vessel, beginning with collecting and evaluating offers for a Time Charter negotiation, voyage estimating, advising principals, negotiating rates and subjects.
|1345||Workshop 5: T/C Negotiation Continues|
|1415||Workshop 5: Comparison of T/C Fixtures|
|1445||Workshop 5: Ballast voyage selection|
|1530||Workshop 5: Negotiating a Voyage Charter|
|1630||Conclusions and Feedback|
The following have lectured on the course in recent years and will form the core of presenters for the above programme:
- Karina Albers, Mediator, Arbitrator and FFA Expert, Alstertrader London & Hamburg
- Catharine Bacon, Former Manager, Ocean Transportation Division, Cargill Plc
- Jeffrey Blum, FICS FCIArb, Maritime Commercial Claims Consultant & Director, Interlink International Trading (UK) Ltd
- Andrew Craig-Bennett, Deputy General Manager, Cosco Maritime UK Ltd
- David Cross, former Chartering Manager, Fairwind Shipping and Member of the Baltic Exchange
- Dr John M Doviak, Managing Director, Cambridge Academy of Transport
- Stephen Kirkpatrick, Partner, Reed Smith
- Mrs Jean Richards, Director, Fairwind Shipping Ltd
- Capt Philip J Wood, Executive Director, Trade & Transport (UK) Ltd
Dates to be announced
The Baltic Exchange, London
The cost of the four days is £2400 per person, fully inclusive of UK Value Added Tax, tuition, refreshments, and lunch each day. Accommodation is NOT included but our nominated travel agency company would be pleased to suggest alternatives in London at a range of prices.
Programme and Booking Form
To download a programme giving fuller details of the course, click here.
For a Booking Form, click here.